Kirby’s Flooring is a locally owned family business that has been providing our community with quality workmanship and guaranteed installations for more than 30 years.
Carpet Care and Maintenance
Depending on the type of carpet you have, you’ll want to use a vacuum with a rotating brush, a beater bar or suction only.
When vacuuming high pile or premium soft carpets look for the following features that will allow you to easily maintain your carpet:
- Adjustable Height – Use the highest setting where appropriate
- Efficient Airflow – Avoid vacuums with very concentrated or sealed suction
- Large Wheels allow the appliance to glide easily across the carpet
Consider professional cleaning every 12–18 months, depending on traffic and other use factors, frequency of vacuuming and whether the carpet is a light or dark color.
Use scissors to clip sprouts and snags; do not pull them or you may damage the carpet.
To remove a dent caused by heavy furniture, stroke carpet with the edges of a coin. You can also use a hair dryer or a steam iron to gently raise the dented area while you tug upward on the tufts. CAUTION: DO NOT LET THE IRON TOUCH THE CARPET.
If your carpet is burned, remove the tops of the dark, burnt fibers with curved fingernail scissors. If the burn is extensive, the carpet may require patching or replacement.
If flooding occurs from a burst pipe, washing machine overflow or other leak, the carpet needs to be dried, front and back, by a professional cleaner with the proper equipment.
Tips for Removing Common Stains
For carpet care a wet/dry vacuum cleaner is the best way to effectively remove stains. Use the attachment with the best suction and vacuum as much of the stain as possible, continuing to add water to the stain as you go. Treatment of the affected area should begin immediately upon discovery. The more time that elapses before treatment, the more difficult a stain will be to remove.
- First scrape the food spill gently with a spoon or dull knife, removing as much solid material as possible. If detergent is required, use it sparingly and gently rinse the area with water while moving the vacuum wand back and forth. Use a towel to absorb all moisture.
- If spot removal solvent is necessary use a low residue carpet spot remover that has been approved by The Carpet and Rug Institute, apply several drops to a clean white cloth and blot the carpet in an inconspicuous area. If a color change occurs or color transfers to the cloth, consult a professional carpet cleaner.
- Place towels or cloth over wet area and weight with a heavy, colorfast object to absorb moisture. Leave overnight.
- If stains remain after cleaning, moisten the tufts in the stained area with 3% hydrogen peroxide and let stand for one hour. Blot and repeat until carpet is stain–free. No rinsing is necessary. Apply a pad of paper towels and weigh them down, allowing carpet to dry.
- Some stains cannot be removed because they permanently alter the carpet’s color. These stains include acid toilet bowl cleaners, acne medication, alkaline drain cleaners, chlorinated bleaches, hair dyes, iodine, insecticides, mustard with turmeric, and plant fertilizers. For these types of stains, call a professional. In order to maintain and protect your warranty coverage under the terms of these warranties, you must do the following: A minimum of one professional cleaning every 18 months is required.
Additional Carpet Care Tips
Beer, wine, coffee and tea
Blot and neutralize with a white vinegar solution, then work a small amount of a detergent solution into the spot (1/4 teaspoon detergent per 1 qt. of water). Continue applying detergent and blotting until spot is completely removed. Using a spray bottle, rinse with tap water and blot to remove excess moisture. Apply paper towels and weigh them down, allowing the spot to dry.
Blood, ketchup, cheese, chocolate, cola, cough syrup, mixed drinks, soft drinks, soy sauce, starch, toothpaste, white glue
First, note that all solutions for removing blood must be cool in temperature. Blot and neutralize the spot with an ammonia solution, using a spray bottle to saturate the spot. Next, work a small amount of a detergent solution into the spot (1/4 teaspoon detergent per 1 qt. of water) and continue applying detergent and blotting until spot is removed. Using a spray bottle, rinse with tap water and blot to remove excess moisture. Apply a pad of paper towels, weigh them down and allow it to dry.
Mud and dirt
Allow mud to dry completely. Shatter the dried mud with the handle of a knife, and then vacuum. For dirt, apply a small amount of a detergent solution to the spot (1/4 teaspoon detergent per 1 qt. of water) and blot with a white paper towel to work the detergent into the affected area. Continue applying detergent and blotting until spot is removed. Using a spray bottle, rinse with tap water, and then blot to remove excess moisture.
Luxury Vinyl Plank & Tile
Special Financing Options
We have financing options over 3, 6, 9 or 12 months - no pay no interest OAC offers. We accept cash, cheque, debit, Visa and Master Card.
Monday to Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Sunday - Closed
Please read what these great customers have to say about Kirby's Complete Flooring Centre:
Great people! Great Products! Can't get better service anywhere!
Family operated and committed. If your looking for a durable product and dedicated installers - look no further than a company in your own backyard. I've never ran Into a flooring situation they didn't have a product or solution for. Big box stores are great for glue and lumber, but when you need individual situations assessed, companies who put their name and reputation at stake behind every sale are honestly your best investment....invest in a company who supports their product as if they manufactured it themselves. A true expert will sell you the product you need, a box store will sell you one they have, *just an honest opinion*.
This is the most honest and straight up company I've ever dealt with. Competitive prices, and superior work. Meticulous. A trustworthy place for any home improvement work. Not just flooring. My carpet install and my parent's carpet install was more than we expected. Little extras here and there, and just great people doing the work. Don't waste time going elsewhere. Honestly.
Thanks to the professional care to detail and fast service, our investment property SOLD within days of Kirby's new wood floor installation! We recommend their work to everyone.
A absolute five star rating. The knowledge, flooring selections, friendliness, project time management, and professional family installers made our project an absolute pleasure. In my experience of many contractors I have yet to enter a completed job site with zero deficiency. Well done Brennan, Mark and Iva !
We highly recommend Kirby's Flooring. We recently received prompt, reliable and courteous customer service, from Iva, Mark & Brennan Kirby; as well as an extremely professional installation by Brennan Kirby.
Top notch, professional experience with this flooring company from the sales to the install! No complaints. I would highly recommend them for any of your flooring needs!